Monday, February 10, 2014

Jesus Feminist

I'm not a critic but I can be critical.
With that being said...
Last week I was reading Sarah Bessey's book
Jesus Feminist.
And God help me! I tried to like it.
First of all...the fact that it took me a week to read it
says something about the nature of that book.
It usually takes me 3 days, tops! to read a good book.
Less if it really captures my interest.
That didn't happen here.
I'd pick it up, read a bit, then put it down.
It was uninteresting and dry and, and, and.....
I don't know what.
I'd read a page or two and feel myself start to nod off.
I kept trying to like it.
Just get to the next chapter, I'd tell myself.
And the next chapter wasn't any better.
I kept waiting for her words to excite me.
I wanted it to knock me for a loop.
I wanted it be Jesus-y and heartfelt and amazing.
I wanted her words to show me what it was like
for us women to be on fire for our Lord.
It was boring...technical...dusty evangelical preaching.
And no one is more surprised by this than me!
I love Sarah Bessey.
Love, love, love her to bits!
Her blog is one of the first ones I want to read on any given day.
She makes me feel strong and righteous in my faith.
Like I am a true Jesus Feminist!
But her book bored me to tears and I am so sorry for that.
I returned it to the library before I even finished it.
That's like breaking a law for me.
I must finish every book I start!
But this one? No way.
I apologize to you Sarah. I just couldn't get into it.
That won't stop me from reading and falling in love
with every blog post you write.
And it won't make me want to stop becoming more of a Jesus Feminist.
Glad that I didn't shell out any money for this book.
And I'm glad that your blog is available to us all free of charge.
I want you to know that your words have saved me
on more than one occasion. And I thank you for that.
I am aware my opinion and thoughts mean diddly to you.
I'm ok with that.

I'm truly sorry I didn't like your book.




No comments:

Post a Comment