Sunday, January 11, 2015

Camera ready. Am I?

Back in September my husband bought me a camera for my birthday.
A digital camera. A red one. With a case. And a strap.
And a few extra little square computer thingys
that'll help me download the pics to my computer.
I'd been telling him that I wanted to take pictures
of the things that God has been showing me.
Birds and sunsets and trees that all declare His glory.
Pictures of our grandchildren too, cuz I swear to you
Grandchildren are so much better than your own children.
I don't mean that in a negative way.
When my own kids were young I was too tired and too busy to enjoy them.
I'd like to apologize to them for that but really there is no need.
I did the best that I could back then.
Nowadays when I see one of the granchildren learning a new skill
or noticing the world around them for the first time,
It is noteworthy to me and I snap a picture.

When the 5 year old first learned to use a spoon 4 years ago
I swear to you I heard angels singing...and it was beautiful.
It's that magic glint in their eye...that expression of WOW
that comes across their face after tasting a strawberry for the first time,
or blowing bubbles in their chocolate milk, or hearing birds outside,
or recognizing the sound of momma's car pulling into the driveway
when she comes back for them at the end of the day.

It's the wonder and the mystery and the magic that I want to capture.
Not just of my grandkids but of everything I see.

The sunrises have really been calling my name lately.
In my neck of the woods they have been glorious...
Rose and Peach and Lilac and Red and Gray and Blush and Blue.
(I added some of my pics...they're at the bottom of this post.)

The other day while driving I came to a stop at a stop sign.
When I looked to my right, I saw a large dark green Evergreen tree
on the corner of the street.
But what really caught my eye was the red, RED, bright ass red Cardinal
that was hiding in its lower branches.
Man! I wished I had my camera with me then!

On my way home, I saw a rend in the clouds, like the sky was tearing in two.
Shit! Another missed opportunity for a great picture!

Would you believe me if I told you that I've been being prompted
by God to bring my camera with me in the car?
Would you believe me if I told you that I said to myself-
"What could possibly be camera worthy on my way to the store?"
And would you believe me if I told you that I keep forgetting to bring
that camera with me in the car and that THAT is when I've been shown
some of these pretty awesome nature things??

Friday my grandaughter and I went to the market.
She pointed at and asked for a Banana. "Nanna" is what she said.
So I let her hold that banana in her mittened hand
while I strapped her in her car seat.
On the way to Preschool to pick up her brother
I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw her eating it.
She's 1. How had she peeled it? Her mittens were still on!

She had taken a bite outta that thing like Proate in the movie KPAX.



A teeny tiny bite, right outta the peel.
The rest of the peel she had flung onto the car seat next to her.
I wish I had seen her peel that thing.
She had Banana mashed so deep into her little pink mittens,
I've washed them 4 times and can't get it all out.

Did I have my camera to capture this magical moment, you ask?!?
What do you think?
Shit.
Missed another one.

So my camera now sits at the ready right next to my purse.
And the next time I get a prompting from God,
I'm going to take my camera with me in my car,
And take pictures of whatever it is that He decides to show me.

Bring it on God. My camera's ready.
Show me what ya got!













P.S.  I really dislike the electrical power lines in every photo but they're all over my neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. Having a camera can really make us slow down and notice what is going on around us.

    Love the banana story!

    ReplyDelete