Thursday, March 23, 2017

An offal good time

OK...here's the poop...er..I mean scoop
I've had a gut ache for about a week along with quite a few visits to the bathroom. And it scared me.
I cut out dairy and I quit drinking wine and coffee and stopped tossing back Advil like it's candy.
But the stomach ache still remained.
So I scheduled a colonoscopy for myself for next week.
I am over the age of 50 and I am past due for this test, but yikes.
I don't wanna go!!!

Monday we had to take our Chihuahua to the vet. She refused to move or walk. Turns out she had some sort of back injury, so they gave her a laser treatment, a little bit of a massage and decompression therapy and gave us some Rimadyl  to give her for pain.  (Google Rimadyl and watch how many horror stories show up)
She was ok that first night. Even the second night she seemed a little slow but nothing serious. On Wednesday morning she refused to eat. Within the hour she had bloody poop and was lethargic.
I called the vet who said to bring her in...of course. They said she had developed colitis most likely due to the stress of the back injury and the resulting vet visit. So they gave her a shot of penicillin and gave us 2 more meds to give her for the colitis.
Cha-ching!! $320 later we felt we were on the road to recovery. Until today.
Today I found bloody urine on her pee pad.
And that's when I lost my shit.
Meaning I flipped my lid.
My gullet started roiling, I started sweating, I could feel my nerves like a rocket taking off into outer space. I became short tempered and scared and just plain out of my mind in a panic.
This time I Googled the words Rimadyl and bloody urine.
That's when I found out that a toxic reaction to this pain medication is loss of appetite, bloody poop, lethargic, blood in the urine, etc, etc, etc.
And dogs were dying from this pain medication! Dying from liver failure, kidney failure, overdose, and the list goes on and on.
It seemed very little could be done to save the animals once their symptoms became severe.
Well, MY DOG had 5 of these symptoms and that scared the absolute hell outta me!
So I called the vet...again... and said that we now had bloody urine and was given an appointment for 4:20 today.
At THIS appointment, yes, the third one in 4 days, they put a syringe into her bladder to draw out the urine so they could culture it. But the urine came out clean. No infection. No blood.
...What the hell?...
The vet said "There is no blood in this urine. None. The blood on that pee pad did not come from this dog. Are there any other animals in the house?"
My sons cat, I replied. And her head snapped up. "A cat? You have a cat? A male cat?"
Yes. But he seems fine.
"Get the cat checked out" she said. So I called my son and told him to make an appointment for his cat Jackson and Jackson has an appointment for tomorrow.
So. Now we wait and see what happens at that appointment.
I want to believe that it's the cat and not my dog but right now my cute little dog is still very lethargic. She ate dinner but laid right back down afterwards.
Truth be told, I am still rather nervous about her.
I'll keep you updated.

My beautiful 4 year old granddaughter shat herself (in her perfect little disney princess underwear) 4 times yesterday and once today.

Would you believe me if I told you that it has been a really shitty week????

I don't even know how to say thanks for reading but,
Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly

2 comments:

  1. Now that's the shits to be sure! Hope the animals are on the mend quickly and that your test is er... painless. No fun but necessary.

    Here's to a good weekend💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lolly! What a week. I how you all feel better. You, the dog, the cat and your granddaughter. 💩

    ReplyDelete