Friday, March 2, 2018

Bibliophile*

I've got a rare free day to do nothing.
By nothing I mean there is no shopping or cooking or laundry or dishes or cleaning that needs doing.
I made a huge pot of Veggie Chili yesterday; enough for us and also enough to share so I gave dinner to my mom and my daughter and son-in-law.
Guess what's for dinner tonight? I did say I made a huge pot of chili, right? ;)
Took my grandson to school this morning and I will pick him up afterwards but that is the extent of my To-Do list today.

If you're interested, my Seamless Bible study is moving along at a snails pace.
It is very ho-hum.
I am not engaged in it, with it, at all. Truthfully I'll be glad when it is done.
One more week to go.
The next Bible study this church is offering has been written by one of the ladies who has led us through this study.
Pardon me for saying this, but her announcement made me want to run screaming from the room.
I've not found her to be inspiring or uplifting at all. In fact half way through this study I've wanted to chuck the workbook and the "homework" that came along with it right into the trash.
I am a lover of books. I read them, I buy them, I covet them, I search Amazon for them, I borrow them, I keep them. As in like forever. Books are my jam. They tuck me into bed at night and they are the reason I get out of bed in the morning. Reading is equal to breathing in my world.*

This book will be tossed into the recycle bin next week Thursday at 9:00pm, right after class ends with no regrets. THUNK!!(and I paid $20 bucks for this book too)

Maybe it's just me but so far I haven't found any Bible study that is a good fit.
At my good ol' Missouri Synod Lutheran Church, the Bible studies are free of charge and you can tell. Nothing but older materials, used for decades.
The elder population doesn't want to pay a dime for new materials and they make up 90 % of the Bible study population.
They are fine with a printed worksheet and their King James Bibles.
They don't ask questions. They are there for the fellowship and the coffee.
They are fine with the status quo.
Me on the other hand...I've got numerous Bibles that I can reference and Google at my fingertips to search out any questions that come up... and the questions DO come up.
Is it just me? Nobody else seems to be asking the questions that I am.
Who did Cain marry? Who did Seth marry?
Who were the Nephilim? (Genesis 6:4)
Really Noah? Two of everything??
Doesn't anybody else know that Mary Magdalene was NOT a prostitute??
What happened to Joseph? (Jesus's step-dad) Why doesn't anybody mention what happens to Joseph?

Now don't get me wrong...I am not a Bible scholar. Not a theologian either.
But these questions and more nag at me.
I believe in God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit.
I've seen things that make it impossible NOT to believe.
I want more though. More knowledge, more questions, more answers.

I feel like I am being led to perhaps..maybe..possibly..oh geez..I don't know....
lead a study myself?
YIKES!!
I cannot believe I just typed that out loud.
But I keep getting this feeling, this sense that I should speak up at our church and inquire about Women's Bible study courses.
I keep getting a little nudge that maybe I am the one who could bring the type of Bible study I am looking for into our church. That  maybe there are other younger-ish women who are starving for more of Gods word like I am.
Not young moms or the geriatric population. I am talking about women 40-65.
Why that demographic?? I don't know. But that's part of the nudge too.
I'll be honest and say that it sort of scares me. I am an introvert. I don't do public speaking.
What in the world is God doing here?? What is He thinking?
Think I will ponder this for a bit...and I'll keep you posted on the nudges.

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly



* definiton of Bibliophile

1 comment:

  1. Life is too short to be doing stuff we don’t want to do. Don’t guilt yourself into that. I know you long for friendships and company but there’s gotta be something you actually enjoy. I’ve had some good luck with MEET UPS. I’ve done tai chi, hiking and a book club.

    ReplyDelete