Monday, May 20, 2013

God's in the pages

I feel like I've got Attention Deficit Disorder.
My mind is going in thirty directions all at once.
I'm reading 3 different books right now and not getting much outta any one of them.
Mind you, I am breaking my own cardinal rule on reading;
One does not start another book until the first one is finished.
But for some reason here lately, I can't seem to get my hands on enough reading material.
Stacks and stacks of books are being checked out by me from my local library.
I have $60.00 worth of books in my Amazon cart.
15 books borrowed from my best friend CC.
I read the dust cover, or the back of the book and I have to have it.
I hear of a book on the news or see another bloggers reading list and I'm on the hunt again.
Gardening books, awakening books, Jesus and all things spiritual books.
Books about saving one's own soul, learning to let go and living in God's grace.
Cook books, prayer books, comfort, joy and simplistic living books.
The Good Book.
Some of them I devour.
Cover to cover in an hour.
Others touch me so deeply that all I want to do is start highlighting and underlining passages.
(For some reason my local library frowns on this sort of thing)
I dog ear pages. Slip in little scraps of paper as book marks.
Sticky notes are stuffed in the creases.
And why am I doing this you might ask?
Cuz I see God in these pages.
And that makes me sound crazy, I know.
But that is what is happening.
God is showing Himself to me thru the paragraphs
and passages and quotes that I am finding in these tomes.
I can tell that it's God because of the way that it makes me feel.
Like I've come home. Like I can breath again. Like I have been saved.

Sometimes I can read something and it instantly resonates within my soul like I've heard it before.
It's as if I've known this quote all along but have forgotten it somehow.
As if the hidden meaning behind this certain paragraph has been written specifically for me.
But it's not just one or two books that this is happening with. 
It is every book.  Every. Single. Book.
I'm finding that God has decided to use books to draw me in to His presence.
And I think to myself...
"How cool is that?!"
That God is using something He knows is so important to me
Something that I feel is necessary to my very survival
That has saved my life on more than one occassion
The thing that I equate with being able to breathe
Reading. And Books.
He's reaching out to me through words.
He whispers to me through these pages written by others. 
He beckons me to come closer to Him.
To have a relationship with Him.
To find myself in Him. 
To trust Him.
Isn't there a saying somewhere about falling into the arms of a good book?
What if I fell into the arms of Jesus? 
What if that is one and the same???
I know, I know!! Mind Blown!


P.S. 2 quotes I found about reading. Nothing about falling into the arms of a book but whatever....... 


Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.  ~Charles W. Eliot

Medicine for the soul.  ~Inscription over the door of the Library at Thebes

No comments:

Post a Comment