Thursday, October 11, 2018

The remains of the day


We're getting our first hard freeze tonight which means my garden will be gone by morning.
I've discovered that the thought of my garden dying makes me feel especially vulnerable.
I am not yet ready to say goodbye to the color that is still blooming in my yard.
I have not yet harvested my Lavender or my Basil, nor my Pineapple Sage or Lemon Thyme.
There is a bush of Chives out front that I wanted to clip down and freeze dry.
And I have a pot of Lemon Balm that needs to be cut and dried too.
Just outside my window I have a large garden full of red flowers-
A small pot of geraniums, Begonias, Impatiens, Celosia, Salvias, Japanese Fire Grass and a potted strawberry plant.
Interspersed throughout these red flowers and plants are bird baths, bee hydration stations,  large stones, a whiskey barrel, a shepherds hook that holds a red lantern,  four baby pine trees and their giant mother and some Creeping Jenny; a lovely bright green ground vine.
This garden delights me in every way and I am sad to see it go.
I'm ready for Autumn and the cooler weather, with its gray days filled with blustery rain.
I'm ready for the humidity to get the F*** out of here, I just wish the flowers could remain.

My sister had to put down her dog this morning. Zoe was a beautiful, loving Golden retriever.
Three months ago she was diagnosed with Lymphoma. She was seven years old.
The vet suggested Chemo, but could only promise that it would extend her life by 8 months.
It felt like the wrong decision to give her Chemo and make her sick and tired but not to cure her, only to extend her life.  My sister wondered at what cost would that be to this dogs life...
To keep her alive pumped full of poison...would she run and chase Squirrels?
Eat and go for walks?
Only to die anyway at the end of eight months?
We all loved that gentle soul, and wished she could have remained here on this Earth, but a better life awaits her over that Rainbow Bridge.

The state of the world tells me things are changing and change makes me feel extra sensitive.
My husband and my son have been ill with upper respiratory infections this past week and  I can feel it starting in my own body. I have a sore throat a headache and my nose is running.
I've got Thieves essential oil in my diffuser and on my feet.
I've been drinking Emergen C and homemade Bone Broth and extra water.

I've also discovered that when there is a change in the atmosphere or season or an upheaval in my life, like a pet dying, or added stress or tiredness from not sleeping, I feel these changes in myself so much more vividly.  Perhaps that is why I am having so much extra anxiety lately.
Oddly enough, my anxiety is under control today. Must have been from all that crying I did this morning over my sister's dog.
Maybe I released the pressure valve.
For the remainder of my day I am hoping to rest and read my book.
Drink some hot tea and lemon.
Let my husband and my son eat whatever they want for dinner, I'm not cooking.
Going to call it a day and go to bed early.

What do you all do for self care when you're sick and a little out of whack?

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly







3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your sister's dog. :( I always think a pet's death seems a bit sadder than a human's death, because they are so innocent. That might sound weird, but because of their vulnerability it seems more tragic to me. Not that a human has less value... well, I can't explain it. I'm also glad you're not as anxious today. When I'm out of whack I like to do as little as possible. I drink hot tea with honey and cream all day long, I read, I sit by my fake fireplace in my room and write in my gratitude journal. I gaze at the sky or the Lake or listen to soft music that is uplifting. I wish I could nap, but I can never sleep during the day unless I'm really sick. I might also watch a movie or a nature show I've DVRd, as long as I know it will be soothing. And like you, I don't want to cook. But I usually have to. Boo. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our garden has been finished for a few weeks now but it’s colder up here in Canada. I am not so much sad as feeling contemplative.
    I am sorry about your sister’s dog. I think she made the best choice. It doesn’t make it any easier though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have some relief from the pain of anxiety today. Maybe tomorrow too💜

    ReplyDelete