Tuesday, June 5, 2012

What's in a name?

I am sad today. Really sad. The neighbor two doors down from us has a pit bull named Spike. The neighbor right next door to us has 2 Chihuahua's named Coco and Nemo. They also have a family member that comes to visit and she brings her own little Chihuahua over to play when she comes to see her family. I don't know her dogs name. We have two Chihuahua's of our own; Chico and Keena. I bet you can already guess where this is going and I wish that I could say that you are wrong, but you aren't. It wasn't Coco or Nemo or Chico or Keena. It was the little 8 month old Teacup Chihuahua who was only here to visit the family.  Somehow it got thru the fence between their properties and Spike did what pitt bulls are known to do. I am not a fan of pitt bulls. You hear so many negative stories in the news nowadays and I have always been worried about my own dogs living only two doors down the street from a "doggie villian". I have heard Spike kill Squirrels in the past and I know he has gotten out of his fence and terrorized the neighborhood and other dogs before. But this wasn't really Spikes fault and I hate having to say that, that it wasn't his fault. But it wasn't and I'm really not looking to place blame. But I am haunted by the last sounds that I heard that small Chihuahua make. It wasn't pretty and I want that sound out of my head. I want the sounds of grief and terror from the Chihuahua's owner and her family members out of my head. I want my own fright and sadness over that poor lil dog to get out of my head. I wish that I knew it's name, cuz that way I could at least say a prayer of comfort for IT, the family and myself. I guess that I don't really need a name, but it would feel better to me if I did. I don't want to think of it as IT. But I also don't want to ask the family what the dog's name was because I am actually afraid it would make me feel sadder somehow.
  I keep remembering how the cute little thing would run around the neighbors yard with its little pointy white ears, flat back on it's tiny little apple shaped head, and run and run and run...as if to say "HEY! Look at me!! Look what I can do!!"  Right now this memory is bittersweet for me and only seems to make me want to cry harder. I wish so much that there was something I could do. There isn't and I know this. Just wish I knew IT's name. Or maybe not. No lessons or blessings for me today. Just grief and sadness for them, for me and for IT. God speed to you my little four legged neighbor friend.
 Enjoy that view from the Rainbow Bridge :(

No comments:

Post a Comment