Thursday, August 2, 2018

Daycation


On Monday we took a day trip and drove up to Devil's Lake Wisconsin to spend the day with our daughter, son-in-law and 4 grand kids.
Devil's Lake is a state park in the town of Baraboo Wisconsin about 25 minutes away from the Wisconsin Dells.
I love, love, love both of these places. The sights, sounds, smells...everything!
I find (or rather I re-find) my Self, my mojo, my equilibrium up here.
The Ho-Chunk/Winnebago Tribe of Native Americans used to call it
  Tawacunchukdah or Sacred Lake, while another tribe called it Minnewaukan,  or Spirit Lake.
Leave it to some jack-ass white man to rename it Devil's Lake.

Every year I tell my husband that we should move up here; that I want to move up here.
I so easily could, as long as all of our kids and grand kids could move with us.

Since it's a 3 hour drive each way, we left at 6:30 in the morning, played and swam and picnicked all day, then headed for home at 4:00pm.
The kids caught buckets full of baby minnows at the shore line while us adults swam in the icy cold and clear-to-the-very-bottom lake.
Every time I swim under the water in that lake I turn around so I am actually looking up through the lake water, where I can then see the beams of the sun shining down on me.
The water muffles the sound of the outside world and the sunbeams glow yellow and green above me.
I float in that holy spirit filled water and feel myself being
                             reborn, rejuvenated, re-invigorated.
I dunk myself again and again, and again...
All the while staring up at the clouds that are drifting overhead, and watching the hawks as they fly high above the pine tree covered bluffs.
It's like a baptism. Every single time.

We fed the kids ice cream and pb&j's, Cheetos's and red grapes, cookies and juice boxes; not necessarily in that order.
And spent way more money than we should have buying junky souvenirs for them to take home.
On the way home we decided to go a different route so we could take them on the Merrimac Ferry.
I remember being 6 years old and my parents taking us on this very same Ferry ride.
Him and I have also ridden this ferry once before when we were out on one of our Harley rides.

Image may contain: 6 people, including Paul Wilbrandt, people smiling, people sitting, ocean, sky, cloud, outdoor, nature and waterImage may contain: 4 people, including Arthur Lutherus, people sitting, outdoor, water and nature


Here's a couple of pics we took on our Wisconsin Daycation-



 Patrick and a bucket full of Minnows
 Laney
 Fiona and some random kid
 Charlie
 Devil's Lake
 See the Hawk?
 Merrimac Ferry

Half way across the river


I wished we could have stayed longer.
Tomorrow we are driving to Lake Geneva Wisconsin.
We are taking these two grand kids of ours boating for a few hours.
Hopefully I'll take a few more pictures than I did at Baraboo.
Summer break is quickly coming to an end. These two start school in 20 days.
Where did the time go???

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly

2 comments:

  1. The pictures the grandbabies made me tear up. How perfectly lovely. And I am so glad you had a day to refresh yourself your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEEEEEET!!!! The kid pics are wonderful and it warms my heart to think of your spirit being baptised by the refreshing water. We all need cleansing, don't we?

    ReplyDelete