Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Bittersweet


I felt uneasy after rereading my last post.
Not the whole thing...just that first part where I made mention of the fact that-

"my husband is not someone I can or would want to, share things with. It's a long story..."

It IS a long story and I'm not going to share the whole of it here, just a bit so you get my drift.
Some of you may know that he is dry...meaning sober, but that he has never gone to AA.
Suffice it to say that if you know anything about AA or Al Anon, you'll know what this means.
His behavior is still a bit askew, and he never found the humility he needed to fully recover.
He doesn't drink anymore, which is great!  but that is/was the only change that he made.
With that, I will say that he is not a bad man. Perhaps he is only a spiritually sick man.

I stopped confiding in him a long time ago. He is not the keeper of my secrets. He is not my best friend.

I know this hurts him but it cannot be helped.
He has, in the past, used my words and thoughts and fears against me, as if he was wielding a weapon.
I have learned to be wary around him when it comes to my personal, private, emotional self.

To put it another way, some of the things that rattle me and cause me to be ungrounded and feel anxious about, come directly from him. 
Again!!   he's not a bad man. Nor does he do these things on purpose. To be honest, he is a sad man.
A very unhappy man. A very dry and sober man who never found the spiritual aspect of a program that would have changed him and his life for the better.

We have been married for 35 years him and I.  Ours is a bittersweet relationship.

We make do. It isn't perfect, and there are some days.....
But I still feel that stomach flippy thing when I see his truck pull into the driveway after work.
And he has always smelled like heaven to me.
He can and does make me laugh quite a bit.
When we are on our Harley life is wonderful and we both notice God's beauty all around us.
We get along great when we ride together, he leans back and rests his hand on my thigh, I lean forward and kiss his neck.

It's the other 350 days a year where I stare at him and wonder how can a body be so fucking miserable all the time.
His job, his boss, his mother, our sex life, the weather forecaster being wrong..again, the weather itself- too rainy, cloudy, humid, foggy, snowy, windy, hot, cold.
Some days I am at a loss as to how to help him.
I usually stand there with a frozen half smile pasted on my face while he rants and rants and rants at the injustices that are always assailing him.
It. Is. Exhausting. to listen to this All. The. Time.

A faithful man shall abound with blessings...-Proverbs 28:20 (KJV)

They say that the person who irritates you the most is your mirror.
Well shit.

Everyone Is Your Mirror
When I decided to take a step back and took a deeper look into him, this was what I saw:
Insecurities and low self-esteem make us ugly.
Our social anxieties prevent us from enjoying the beauty in both ourselves and others.
When I notice the way he dwells on certain areas of life, not only do I feel sad but I realize what I actually see is my own reflection.

“If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself”.
The imperfections in other people that trigger us the most are the imperfections we loath in ourselves.
Because they are mostly repressed, studying our hatred towards these people can help us come clean with who we actually are.
Thanks to his low self-esteem, I’ve come to embrace and deal with mine.
Our own reflection in others shows us not only who we are, but also how to be better. ~Kolyanne Russ

I don't hate him. I dislike his constant complaining.
And yet what do I do here on this blog but constantly complain?

Mirror, Mirror on the wall....

******************************************************************

So this morning as I was reading one of my many devotionals, I came across this prayer by Brian Doyle and it struck a nerve.

Dear Lord,
Give me the strength and peace and joy
 to love steadily and consistently
 and well and openly for all the days of my life.


It caused me to wonder and it drew me up short...Wow. 
I never pray for my husband. 
Not in that way at least. 
I've prayed for him to quit drinking.
I've prayed for him as he fought fires.
I've prayed for him to shut the hell up.
I've prayed that he would love me the way I need to be loved.
I've never prayed to steadily love my husband. 
I've never prayed to Jesus to help me love my husband well and openly.

Why don't I ever pray for him to be a happier man? A good and faithful servant? 
A pleasant person to be around, a contented worker and coworker?

Six months ago I bought Stormie Omartian's book The Power of a Praying Wife.
And promptly put it on my bookshelf and never looked at it again.
Today I climbed up there and got it down.
I'm thinking that if I want my husbands outlook to change, if I want him to be able to feel better about himself, if I want to look myself in the face in that mirror, I had better get started on this book.

Reading the table of contents itself blew me away.

 1. His Wife
 2. His Work
 3. His Finances
 4. His Sexuality
 5. His Affection
 6. His Temptations
 7. His Mind
 8. His Fears
 9. His Purpose
 10. His Choices
 11. His Health
 12. His Protection
 13. His Trials
 14. His Integrity
 15. His Reputation
 16. His Priorities
 17. His Relationships
 18. His Fatherhood
 19. His Past
 20. His Attitude
 21. His Marriage
 22. His Emotions
 23. His Walk 
 24. His Talk
 25. His Repentance
 26. His Deliverance 
 27. His Obedience
 28. His Self-Image
 29. His Faith
 30. His Hearing 
 31. His Future

I'd say God is pointing me in a direction that I should go.
The Power of a Praying Wife....I like that title.

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly

Visit the post for more.He doesn̢۪t work on your time frame but on his

2 comments:

  1. I get so much of this post. I am in awe of couples with happy marriages. Less than a month ago I was leaving my husband. I had a place to live all set up but backed out at the last minute because I coluld not give up my garden and my cat. Maybe it was an excuse but whatever the reason, I’m still here.
    I am learning to find love and acceptance outside my marriage. I go to Tai Chi and also a woman’s support group. I am a part of a Facebook group that helps a lot. (I added you so you can take a look.) I used to imagine that marriage would be the be all and end all. It’s not.
    As it stands right now, things are okay. But when things get bad, and they always do, it is so awful. The ball is 100% in my court because he will never change. I don’t think most men are even capable of change. I think women change drastically throughout life and we grow spiritually but men seem to stay stagnated.
    Okay. I’m rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't rambling Birdie and I appreciate your comment and your support. Thanks for adding me to the FB group.

    ReplyDelete