Thursday, June 21, 2018

Gem of priceless wisdom


(Questions in the middle of the page are from the book Plant Spirit Medicine by Eliot Cowan)

Let me preface this set of questions with an observation-
I'm beginning to think that this author, Eliot Cowan, is a bit of a nut.
As I flip through and read certain chapters of this book, I find that some of the stuff he writes about is way way out in left field, if you know what I mean.
Way out.

The questions themselves aren't so bad...but his life experiences are a bit out there.
I've read ahead a few chapters and find myself a bit put off by some of his weird ideas.
I'm not sure how much longer I'm gonna be able read some of this stuff.
(AND NO THIS MAN IS NOT MY MIRROR)
In the meantime I enjoy answering some of these questions and I've also found that my answers are starting to heal a bit of a sore spot that I've discovered in my soul.
Which I'd say is a good thing.

And so without further ado...here are questions 1-5 from the chapter on Metal.
Image result for mountains and summits
"Wake up early in the morning, move your bowels, and go to the summit of a hill or mountain. Breathe deeply. Bow, kneel, or perform a solemn ceremony as a gesture of respect to the experiences of your own life. Take up these questions.

Consider each answer to be a gem of priceless wisdom. 
By answering these questions, you can honor your relationship to Metal."


(I read that first sentence and started giggling like a 10 year old boy.
For heaven's sake...move your bowels...what the hell Mr. Cowan?
What has that got to do with anything??
Then it dawns on me that there aren't any mountains, summits or hilltops in my neighborhood.
Maybe I could shit  sit at the top of the staircase?? Does that qualify as a summit?
I didn't do any of the ceremonial kneeling or bowing. I did breathe deeply.
So here we go.)

1. How do you feel about your father?
I miss him. I miss his laugh, his sense of calmness. He was one of the most decent men on the planet. You know that old saying.."They don't make 'em like that anymore"? That is what I think about my dad. He worked three jobs to support us and never complained. He came from an abusive home and never laid a hand on us but once. He said once was enough. His parents were alcoholics but he wasn't. He could make or build anything...we called him a mechanical genius. I never heard him raise his voice or talk down to another human being. He broke the cycle of abuse that he was raised in and raised us without violence or meanness.
He died in 1994 from Multiple Myeloma.
I find that I miss him more and more as time marches on.

2. How do you feel in Autumn?
Alive. Cool. Like I can breathe. I love the colors of the leaves on the trees. I love the early darkness that descends around 4:30pm. I love the smell of woodsmoke and apples and dried out leaves. I love being able to cook heartier foods once again. After a long hot Summer of grilling outdoors, there is something so perfect about roasting and baking in my kitchen. Gray rainy Autumn days energize me.
I LOVE Fall, Y'all !
Image result for I love fall y'all

3. When was the last time you wept?
This past Sunday when my son played this song for me. He says this is what happened to him when his girlfriend broke up with him. It bothers me that she broke his heart so badly.



And then this one-


4. When have you lost someone who was precious to you?
This a helluva question to ask. When?! Jesus. Why does he want to know when?
There isn't any way to answer it without typing out long drown out responses.
I'm just gonna answer with names, relationship to me and dates.
For the record..haven't most of us lost someone precious?
Why does it matter when?
Who gives a shit about when?
What's the point of his question?

  1. My Aunt Lori 1968- Anaphylactic Shock
  2. My Grandfather Jerry 1976- Emphysema and Heart Failure
  3. My Grandmother Louella 1985- Pancreatic Cancer
  4. My daughter Abigail 1986- Umbilical Cord Accident
  5. My Father Richard 1996- Multiple Myeloma
  6.  My sister Vonni 2008- Blastomycosis of the Brain


5. When have you lost valuable objects?
Not sure if I have ever lost any valuable objects. I know that I miss my childhood toys. But I didn't lose them. My mother threw them all out. Everything...dolls, doll clothes, toy dishes, Barbies, games. I wish I had some of it still.
But valuable? I think valuable is a relative term.
One's man trash is another man's treasure.

That's it for the first five questions. Twenty nine more to go.
Aren't you excited??

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly



No comments:

Post a Comment