Saturday, May 5, 2018

Next Assignment - Writing down the bones


I've been reading a book titled Writing Down the Bones.
It's about learning to write your story.
I've also read Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott.
It's basically the same thing...learning how to write and tell your own story.
Then I stumbled across this book
(although to be truthful I think this book was put in my path for a reason).
There are a series of questions at the end of some of the chapters.
As I started to peruse these questions, an idea popped into my head...
These would make great blog posts I thought to myself.
They are not your run of the mill get to know you questions.
And in the first list there are 42 questions to answer.
So I figured I would break it down into answering maybe 6 questions a day.
Some of the questions might need a whole blog post to just answer that question in particular.
I am even going to give this series a Label on my blog...How exciting is that??
(woot! I mean can you even stand it?)

So, without further ado, here is question  #1

1. When was the last time you had a really good laugh?

Down in Florida last week I asked my husband to help me take a selfie of the two of us on the beach so I could post it on my Instagram account.
I kept trying to set-up the "perfect" shot and he was holding down the shutter the whole time.
There are numerous pictures of me holding out my hand, telling him to stop, and all I could hear was the clicking sound of him taking picture after picture. I'm not sure what made me start laughing cuz honestly, that sort of thing would normally piss me right off, but laugh I did.
I laughed until I cried. And there are pictures of me doing that too.
I cannot tell you the last time that man made me laugh. It felt wonderful to do so.
Sitting on the beach with the wind blowing my hair every which way, the sand on my feet, the sound of the surf in my ears, seagulls flying overhead, dolphins swimming past (a pod of 10!), our little cooler full of turkey sandwiches and iced tea wedged between us, and him taking pictures of me...
pictures that I don't want to delete because they show me laughing and crying and a few with him smiling in the background, his own unintended target.
It made me feel normal, it made us seem normal...two really white people laughing on the beach clearly on a vacation, seeming to be having the time of their lives. And we were.

When was the last time YOU had a really good laugh?

Thanks for reading,
Love, Lolly











3 comments:

  1. This post made me smile from ear to ear!

    I love books that make me think deeply and question my beliefs and prod me to improve. I'll look that one up.

    The last huge laugh was watching a Netflix comedian John Mulaney Kid Gorgeous. Started out slow but at a few points I laughed til I hurt and we had to pause it to catch our breath.

    XXOOXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pictures are priceless and way better than any perfect shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Birdie. I loved seeing these and am so glad you were able to get away. Michael and I always thought we would travel together in our later years...and you know how that story ended. Savor every day if you can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete